Monday, October 1, 2012

Considering KDP Select

In determining where to release my ebooks, I came across the KDP Select program.

Pros:

  • Included in the Kindle lending library
  • Can be promoted for free for five days every three months
  • Can opt out after 90 days

Cons:

  • Can only distribute my ebook through Amazon

I would only release my book via Amazon after making sure that I'd made all of the formats available to my backers, of course. As it's possible to read books for the Kindle without a Kindle (I read one on my laptop very recently), I don't know whether this would actually be a significant hurdle for potential readers. I've sent Amazon a message asking whether I can send people other formats after receiving proof of purchase and still qualify, but I'm not sure when they'll reply.

No matter what, it would still be available in paperback, so don't worry about that!

What do you think? If you're interested in reading the ebook, would the Amazon exclusivity make it impossible for you to buy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment